IOWA AUCTIONEERS SEMI-FINALS & FINALS AUCTIONEER CONTEST RULES
CONTEST DATE: TUESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2021
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS 5:00 PM TUESDAY, JULY 20, 2021
- Contestant must be a member in good standing with the Iowa Auctioneers Association.
(IAA Dues can be paid at the time of registration. Please see the IAA contest registration form.)
- Entry Fee is $50.00 for members. If you are not a member, you may become a member at the time of registration for the contest. Registration deadline is 5:00 PM Tuesday, July 20, 2021.
- Contestant must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the contest.
- Contest will be conducted within the time frame set by the Planning Committee and those in charge of the contest.
- ALL contestants are required to attend a “rules” meeting before the contest begins.
- Contestants are required to bring 3 items to sell during the preliminary round of the contest. IAA will retain 100% of proceeds. If more than 30 contestants register for the contest, contestants will only sell 2 items.
- IAA will provide 3 items for each of the 5 finalists to sell during the finals. (Items are not to be identical, but similar in value, scope, and style.)
- Board members not involved with the contest committee, and excluding the President, Vice President and President-Elect are eligible to participate in the contest. Any board member participating is prohibited from mentioning their board affiliation.
- Preliminary and Finals contest are held under actual auction conditions.
- The five (5) contestants receiving the highest scores during the preliminary contest will be eligible to compete for the title in the Finals round. Finalists will be sequestered.
- If a tie would occur for the 5th contestant, all tied contestants will advance to the Finals.
- If a tie would occur in the top 5 of the Finals, the tie breaker will go back to the contestants with the highest score from the preliminary round of the contest.
- The finalists during the contest will have 3 interview questions to answer and 3 items to sell (may be reduced due to time requirement).
- Five (5) judges, selected by the President, Vice President, and President-Elect, will judge the preliminary round. (Convention speakers, NAA/IAC speaker, seminar presenters, and past IAA Auctioneer Champions are considered.)
- Judging categories will be: speed, bid calling ability, salesmanship and appearance. Professional dress is recommended. The standard “Auctioneer Contest Score Sheet” will be used in both the preliminary and final rounds.
- All scores will be used during the semi finals and finals.
- Top five (5) place winners will receive trophies.
- Prize money will remain at:
$250 Reserve Champion
$150 First Runner Up
$100 Second Runner Up
$100 Third Runner Up
- Past Champion(s) are NOT eligible to enter the Auctioneer Contest.
*If at any time the number of contestants does not support 20 finalists being present at the Finals, the committee, at its discretion, may allow other individuals to participate in selling during the finals. These participants will not be scored by the judges, will not be eligible to win, and will be used only to fill a void in the numbers of participants. The committee should be encouraged to use past champions as fill-ins at the start of the contest to “warm-up” the crowds and fulfill the “twenty” participant count.
RULES MAY BE REVIEWED AND CHANGES MAY BE MADE IN THE FUTURE AS NEEDED BY THE COMMITTEE
AND AS APPROVED BY THE IAA BOARD OF DIRECTORS